Re: Sort criteria in Search Request

> Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 13:48:51 +0100
> From: Ian Ibbotson <ian.ibbotson@k-int.com>
>
> The real need for sort to be close to search-request is, as the doc
> says, for targets that need to be able to optimise the way they
> work. I have a few SQL backends, and it's really inconvienient to
> execute what can be a heavy SQL statement, only to have to
> immediately re-evaluate it because a sort-request has just come in
> and now we need to tag some order by clause on the end.

This is purely an implementation issue, isn't it?  Your server can
implement this stuff however it likes.  For example, when you get a
search request, do nothing but remember what the request was, and
return a "success" indicator.  You need only actually submit the SQL
query when the user either (A) sorts the result set (in which case you
can include the ORDER BY clause) or (B) presents some records, in
which case that's a great moment to actually do the search.

	``Mmmm ... laziness.  Is there _anything_ it can't do?''
	       -- Homer Simpson, paraphrased.

)_v__/\  "Good luck, everyone" -- Bob the Angry Flower after the WTC
	 disaster.  See http://angryflower.com/septem.gif