Re: ZNG - what is the long-range objective?

> Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 14:55:00 -0400
> From: "LeVan,Ralph" <levan@oclc.org>
>
> But, I definitely want to use ZNG internally to replace our Z39.50
> server.  Building robust servers is HARD and we still have
> unexplained socket failures that leave application chewing up CPU's.
> I want to get out of the server business and write code that bolts
> on to someone else's robust server.  Servlets seems to be the right
> architecture to do that.

Well, really, Ralph!  There are legitimate arguments in favour of ZNG,
but this hardly one of them.  Your problem is that building robust
servers is hard, and you want to use a servlet architecture.  Well and
good: this is a serious problem.  Its solution is to use someone
else's robust server and write servlets for it.

What does this have to do with the bits-on-the-wire protocol that
connects the server to clients?  NOTHING!

)_v__/\  "Vis-a-vis the metabolic processes, 'e's 'ad 'is lot!" --
	 Monty Python.