Re: ZNG: "Z39.50 Next Generation"

Rob Bull wrote:

> Ray,
>
> I read this with interest, but I have to say that I find it difficult to
> see how the conclusions have arrived - are there any accompanying
> notes/rationale for this design ?

Not yet, but I'll see if we can put together an accompanying paper in the next
month or so.

Meanwhile I'll try to address some of the concerns. (I have to be brief though;
I'm about to depart and will be away until July 16. Meanwhile, the others in the
project will address this further.)

These are the premises behind this initiative (the "process"-related premises):

     - This is an experiment, not a standards process.
     - This is one of possibly several such experiments, to test approaches
     for evolving Z39.50.
     - One of these approaches may be a "winner". If so, the others might
     be abandoned.  We are completely prepared to abandon this initiative
     if another approach proves better.  We are also prepared to combine
     this approach with another if feasible. But we're talking about
     implemented, tested approaches, not theories.
     - Any such initiative can be successful only if it is focused, with a
     manageable number of participants, who intend to implement the
     approach that they agree upon. These specification cannot be developed
     by a standards-like process with dozens of participants who have
     little at stake.
     - This is a "proof-of-concept" experiment. It's important to separate
     "concept" from "detail". After the approach it is tested, if it is
     considered valid that doesn't mean that the entire specification will
     remain intact.  Some of the pieces of the spec may be placeholders
     (for example, CQL). (I will grant that we haven't yet done a good job
     of documenting this distinction, between concept and detail, and we'll
     try to address this in the next month or so.)
     - This initiative is not intended to replace Z39.50. It focuses on
     getting information to the user. The premise is that Z39.50's strength
     is in business-to-business applications, and this initiative is not
     aimed there.

LC is participating in this initiative, but not as the Maintenance Agency. True,
the Maintenance Agency is publicizing this, and the Maintenance Agency will be
very happy to publicize any other such initiative/experiment.

I'm not going to try to address the technical concerns raised just yet. I'll
pick up again on this discussion week-after-next.  --Ray

--
Ray Denenberg
Library of Congress