RE: ZNG: "Z39.50 Next Generation"

On Friday, July 13 Robert Anderson wrote:
>I understand that the impetus here is to bring it into line with
>current web database structures. As far as I'm concerned, this
>is a waste of time as the current advantages of Z are being cut
>out. People will just use SQL, rather than ZNG as it is proven
>and established, with a very large knowledge and support base
>lready in existance.

I don't agree. Based on the current ZNG document the initiative looks very
useful to me. I think the problem statement is valid. I think there is a
nice balance in the omitted and retained features. It has a good feel of
being in touch with current technological developments.
Personally I don't see SQL having an impact in this particular technological
area.

Jan

PS	Marketing-wise the 'Common' as in CQL could use a more descriptive
	label which would (also) allow differentiation and positioning
	versus stuff like XQuery. Analogous to the 'Search/Retrieve web
	service' marketing label which I think is brilliant.