RE: Init is dead?

No Init is not dead yet. Not for me at least.
I do not agree with the idea that the Init contains only useless
information.
The PreferredMessageSize negotiation is very useful.
Most of our applications use the authentication through the Init.

I haven't been in Washington, so I don't know what the discussions were
about, but personally I don't think we gain much this way.
Does the omission of Init imply that there will not be a Present anymore? I
have the impression. No session. No ResultSet anymore.

The people who complain that Z39.50 is too complex, will always find it too
complex even we omit the Init. (The attribute set structure is quite complex
compared to the Init.)
Anyway who cares, the Init is only 50 bytes, and it's easy to implement.

People who want to do Internet-like searching can do that already now:
For every search you do Init Search Present Present etc. and you close the
connection.
That's easy, we use that here a lot.

Pieter van Lierop