RE: Explain-lite (Explain discussion)

At 11:03 21-11-00 +1100, Alan Kent wrote:

> > I think part if this is that Explain by addressing the more
> > complicated requirements is too complicated for the simple application
> which
> > is what most people (at least initially) would want to implement.
>
>I hear this a lot. Could someone summarise in one or two sentences the
>information content Explain Lite supports that makes it better?
>(For example, we added the CCLInfo category to Explain to make it
>easier (possible!) to do CCL->RPN translations.) I am wondering if
>the Explain Lite could be a category within the Explain database
>where the category has an XML and ASN.1 encoding defined.

Alan,

I had the same thought - casting "Explain-lite" as a new Explain category -
yesterday and I like it as a way of ensuring coherence in Z39.50 rather
than defining it as something completely onto itself. Perhaps
"SummaryInformation" would be an appropriate name for the category since it
generally pulls together stuff from all over the place in kind of an
Executive Summary.

Note, I use "Explain-lite" in a pretty broad sense. I am very uncomfortable
with the ZIG adopting a mechanism which is developed in a closed community
- I think for something as important and central as Explain, this would be
a dangerous and unprecedented move. Whatever Explain-lite is, it has to be
public property in some sense. Or else it has to belong to me - that would
be an acceptable compromise.

--Sebastian
--
Sebastian Hammer        <quinn@indexdata.dk>            Index Data ApS