Re: "Z39.50 Server List" DTD

Robert Waldstein wrote:

> Just to weigh in (gee, thought I had switched to being a lurker) I strongly
> disagree with the 2 points above (agreed with the rest).
>    explain PDUs (actually PDUs/BER in general) have very little overhead.
> I have always found that impressive.

I read that to mean overhead in the sense of complexity, not bytes
(Rob?).  Actually, I like ber, too, but new technologies like xml do the
same thing, though in bloated form, and are more readily acceptable to
other developers.  That counts for something.

>    everything in explain were real things that someone argued for needing
> for their implementation.  The things you aren't interested in you don't send
> and - in theory - your server then won't support those clients or functions.

You're right, most of the stuff is optional.

Kevin

--
Kevin Gamiel                     Email: kgamiel@islandedge.com
Island Edge Research, Inc.       http://www.islandedge.com