RE: Z39.50 URLs

infinitum, but is
> RFC2056 still the current definition of the Z39.50 URL
scheme?

> I'm currently working on extending Mozilla to act as a
fully fledged
> z39.50 client and thus was wondering if there was a more
recent
> definition.

Hi Rob,
this is not exactly inline with the Z39.50 URL scheme
definition, but there is some documentation and a free
download of a Z39.50 protocol handler for internet explorer
available at http://habanero.nhm.ukans.edu/z.x/documents/zx.
You have to register to download it as we need to keep track
of software downloads.

As far as I'm aware it is the only tool currently available
which lets a web browser handle the z39.50 protocol.
Unfortunately it only works with IE5.x but I would be happy
to contribute to the development of such a tool for Mozilla
as well if I ever get some spare time.

Please note that this protocol handler is not a full
implementation of the z39.50 url scheme, and was developed
primarily as a client tool for the Species Analyst (Z39.50
tools for access to natural history collections).  Since the
protocol handler generates XML documents that are not
specific to our profile, it has also proven to be quite
useful for hitting on any Z39.50 target such as BIB-1, GILS
and GEO servers.

The XML document generation is described at the web site
listed above.  The format of the XML document is really one
of convenience from my point of view and has never been
formally discussed or debated.  I would be happy to hear
your (and others) comments on more appropriate methods for
encapsulating results in the XML document.

regards,
  Dave Vieglais

David A. Vieglais
Natural History Museum &