Re: Conditional spaces vs. multi-column page-layout

On Wed, Nov 10 2010 11:40:15 +0000, mcauthon1980@hotmail.com wrote:
> My expectations would have been such that a block definition similar
> the following should have cause the 10mm margin to be dropped
> (discarded) automatically at the top of each column (resp. that
> column's reference area):
> Unfortunately, it seems that this is only true if the block area in
> question is actually the first to appear on the overall page. Because
> of that, I am guessing that the conditionality itself is only applied
> to areas immediately following page breaks (and not column breaks, as
> I initially assumed).

My expectation matches yours.

The definition of 'conditionality' [1] is:

   Conditionality is an enumerated value which controls whether a
   space-specifier has effect at the beginning or end of a
   reference-area or a line-area. Possible values are retain and
   discard; a conditional space-specifier is one for which this value is
   discard.

and column-areas are defined to be normal-flow-reference-areas [2].

As fo:region-body [1] is defined, even when there is only one column and
no footnotes or floats, there is a region-reference-area containing a
main-reference-area containing a span-reference-area containing a
normal-flow-reference-area.  When there's more than one column, the
difference is supposed to be that there's just more
normal-flow-reference-areas.

Regards,

Tony Graham                         Tony.Graham@MenteithConsulting.com
Director                                  W3C XSL FO SG Invited Expert
Menteith Consulting Ltd                               XML Guild member
XML, XSL and XSLT consulting, programming and training
Registered in Ireland - No. 428599   http://www.menteithconsulting.com
xmlroff XSL Formatter                               http://xmlroff.org
xslide Emacs mode                  http://www.menteith.com/wiki/xslide
Unicode: A Primer                               urn:isbn:0-7645-4625-2

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl11/#spacecond
[2] First paragraph in http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl11/#keepbreak
[3] http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl11/#fo_region-body