Re: page-sequence-wrapper

On Thu, Dec 02 2010 18:35:57 +0000, dave.pawson@gmail.com wrote:
> On 2 December 2010 17:37, Liam R E Quin <liam@w3.org> wrote:
>> On Thu, 2010-12-02 at 17:06 +0000, Dave Pawson wrote:
>>> 6.4.6 fo:page-sequence-wrapper
>
> A little judicous choice and I see
>
> Possible completions are:
> azimuth 	border-collapse

That is not accurate and not what Paul said.  For starters,
"allowed-height-scale", "allowed-width-scale", and "auto-restore" are
all inherited properties that would list before "azimuth".

> OK Paul, I agree, just about *any*  :-)

Any.

Section 5.1.4, "Inheritance" [1], includes:

   The inheritable properties can be placed on any formatting
   object. The inheritable properties are propagated down the formatting
   object tree from a parent to each child.

There's also the 'from-nearest-specified-value()' function [2]:

   The value returned is that for the closest ancestor of the formatting
   object for which the expression is evaluated on which there is an
   assignment of the property in the XML result tree in the fo
   namespace.

> Thats the list from page-sequence + the index terms.
>
> I wonder how many weeks work it would be to produce a first
> cut Schematron file.

Just allow any property anywhere except on empty FOs other than
fo:table-column, which gets its applicable properties and all
inheritable properties.

The challenge for a schema or validator is probably more in handling
what FO can't contain itself or what FO can't be a descendant of what.

The challenge for an authoring environment is presenting the plethora of
properties in a way that's useful, e.g., directly applicable first, then
other inheritable, then the rest, but getting the list is all too easy.

Regards,

Tony Graham                         Tony.Graham@MenteithConsulting.com
Director                                  W3C XSL FO SG Invited Expert
Menteith Consulting Ltd                               XML Guild member
XML, XSL and XSLT consulting, programming and training
Registered in Ireland - No. 428599   http://www.menteithconsulting.com
xmlroff XSL Formatter                               http://xmlroff.org
xslide Emacs mode                  http://www.menteith.com/wiki/xslide
Unicode: A Primer                               urn:isbn:0-7645-4625-2

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl11/#inheritance
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl11/#d0e5961