RE: Predictability of rendering regions on the page

At 2005-06-03 16:16 -0400, Paul Grosso wrote:
> [...]

Drat!  This is quite necessary for what I need to accomplish.

> > I cannot, however, find any predictability in the XSL-FO 1.0
> > specification
> > ... perhaps I just cannot find it ... if it isn't there, can
> > the XSL-FO 1.1 specification dictate this?
>
>I don't think it should.  That is getting to close to
>specifying a processing model.

Good point, I can see that to be true.

>XSL-FO tries to avoid
>that and instead specifies constraints that should hold
>for the composed result.

Yes, of course ... I just had not considered ordering to be related to
processing.

>I'd think a better way to accomplish this would be to
>use the z-index property, but I note z-index is not
>applicable to region-*.

Indeed.

>So your request should be for the XSL FO SG to consider
>adding z-index to the list of properties applicable to
>the region-* FOs in XSL 1.1.  [I have no idea what the
>SG members will think of this.]

I hope the SG members do consider this worthwhile as it would bring
predictability to my real-world requirement of overlapping regions.

Having included XSL Editors on this list, I hope this note is sufficient to
the task of requesting such a feature.

>paul
>(just speaking for myself)

Thank you, Paul, for your opinion and for bringing light to an aspect of my
request of which I was unaware.

Crane Softwrights Ltd.          http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/f/
Male Breast Cancer Awareness  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/f/bc