RE: Predictability of rendering regions on the page

[Dropping non-W3C lists to which I am not subscribed.]

No.

> Does XSL-FO 1.0 dictate that the static content is rendered
> before the flowed content?

No.

> Either will do what I need.
>
> I cannot, however, find any predictability in the XSL-FO 1.0
> specification
> ... perhaps I just cannot find it ... if it isn't there, can
> the XSL-FO 1.1 specification dictate this?

I don't think it should.  That is getting to close to
specifying a processing model.  XSL-FO tries to avoid
that and instead specifies constraints that should hold
for the composed result.

I'd think a better way to accomplish this would be to
use the z-index property, but I note z-index is not
applicable to region-*.

So your request should be for the XSL FO SG to consider
adding z-index to the list of properties applicable to
the region-* FOs in XSL 1.1.  [I have no idea what the
SG members will think of this.]

paul
(just speaking for myself)