Re: Using an XSL Formatter as an XSL-FO Web Browser

Sebastian Rahtz <sebastian.rahtz@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk> writes:

> PassiveTeX does indeed expand some shorthands now. Primarily driven by
> the RenderX test files, actually, as I find them a useful benchmark. I
> really resent having spent the time on it :-}
>
> And I still think that 'font="10pt Helvetica bold"' is horrible in
> anyone's book. Thats not a shorthand, its plain laziness!

Though it was me to scatter shorthands throughout RenderX testcases,
I 100% agree :-). 'Font' is an incredible mess (second only to
'background'); I also regret the time we have spent to implement/test it.

>'border-style=solid' I find more comprehensible.

If it is given a single value, it's OK. Then it can be treated as a
special property that sets default values to 'border-{side}-style'
stuff. The spec already contains properties that equal another
property by default - 'border-{side}-color' take their default
values from 'color'.

However, in CSS 'border-style' can assume multi-token values
(up to 4 style specifiers). IMHO, this should be dropped.

Regards,
Nikolai