Re: Harold test suites: 2 issues

From: Elliotte Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 19:14:24 -0400
To: Paul Grosso <pgrosso@arbortext.com>
CC: www-xml-xinclude-comments@w3.org, bill.han@oracle.com

Paul Grosso wrote:

> For colonizedschemename.xml,
> xpointer="test:xpath(somedata)element(/1/1)", test:xpath(...) is not
> supported, but element(/1/1) should return p element according to their
> comments. They don't have any output now.

I think the sentence in the test suite that "You should see a p
element:" was copied from another test case and is not accurate. Either
that or I originally thought the element scheme should be evaluated in
this case but was convinced otherwise.

I believe the output of nothing (i.e. fatal error) is correct here. My
exegesis of this case is that
xpointer="test:xpath(somedata)element(/1/1)"  contains a syntactically
incorrect XPointer because the test prefix is not mapped to a namespace
URI by an xmlns XPointer part. This is thus not simply a case of an
unrecognized scheme. Therefore we don't just fall back to the next
recognized pointer part.

According to XInclude "An error in the XPointer is a resource error."
However there's no xi:fallback in this case so the resource error
becomes fatal. Hence no output.