RE: Can XInclude Processors Rewrite IDs and References?

That section talks about rewriting the [references] property to match up
with duplicate IDs, not ID rewriting.  XInclude does not provide
specifically for ID rewriting, in fact a conformant processor should not
perform any.

However, if you want to perform ID rewriting or some other infoset
transformation either before inclusion or after XInclude processing, you
are free to do so.  I'd just ask you to document it as outside the
bounds of XInclude so your users understand where interoperability
"guarantees" leave off.