RE: Test suite bugs with respect to DOCTYPEs

At 4:23 PM -0700 6/14/04, Jonathan Marsh wrote:
>We'll fix the test suite in the following ways:
>
>1. Unnecessary DOCTYPE decls will be removed.
>
>2. For the cases where DOCTYPE is necessary to generate an output
>infoset with unexpanded entities, we will add a note to the
>documentation saying that when comparing the result with the official
>results, the document type declaration should be ignored.
>
>Hope this is acceptable.

1 is fine of course. For 2, I think a little more is required. Simply
documenting the issue is not enough. Unexpanded entities are not part
of the required information items for XInclude support, and any test
cases that rely on them should be called out in the testdescr.xm
file. For example,

<testcase id="imaq-include-xml-02" href="recursive.xml"
		          type="success" requires="unexpanded">
			<contributor>Daniel Veillard</contributor>
			<section
resource="http://www.w3.org/TR/xinclude/#loops">4.2.7</section>
			<date qualifier="created">8-Mar-2002</date>
			<description>Test recursive
inclusion.</description>
	<output>../../../result/XInclude/recursive.xml</output>
		</testcase>

This way implementations that don't support the optional features
could automatically skip the test case. Ditto for other optional
features like the xpointer scheme, notations and unparsed entities.
With the current file, I have to manually comment out a number of
tests that rely on optional features.
--

   Elliotte Rusty Harold
   elharo@metalab.unc.edu