Re: Handling unrecognized xpointer schemes

On Fri, Jun 04, 2004 at 07:39:33AM -0400, Elliotte Harold wrote:

> I've probably said this before, but as there's no publicly accessible
> issues list and I don't see it in the archives, so I'll say it again in
> case I haven't.
>
> The current candidate rec is insufficiently clear on what an
> implementation should do when encountering an unrecognized XPointer
> scheme in an xpointer attribute, and there's no additional recognized
> XPointer scheme to fall back on. In my case thie issue is xpointer()
> schemes, but it could also be xpath1() scheme or other custom schemes.
> Is this a resource error? a fatal error? Should the processor simply
> ignore the xpointer attribute?
>
> The spec says, "A syntax error in the XPointer is a resource error
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/xinclude/#dt-resource-error>." However, this is
> not a syntax error, even though it is an error according to section 3.3
> of the XPointer framework.

  XInclude should not have to deal with the notion of XPointer schemes.
The return from a lookup for an XPointer request can only be:
   - success
   - error

  the syntactic and (sub)resource errors are not separated as far as I
can tell from the XPointer Framework spec:
  http://www.w3.org/TR/xptr-framework/#terminology

  So any error from an XPointer level is opaque, you can't make assumption
at the specification level wether this is due to syntactic problems, scheme
support or error locating any subresource (that's far from perfect, I agree).
  What the note you copied intend is to insist on that point, i.e. all errors
coming back from an XPointer evaluation are handled as resource error, because
there is no way to tell what happened in general. Maybe that could be reworded
to be made clearer,

Daniel

daniel@veillard.com  | Rpmfind RPM search engine http://rpmfind.net/
http://veillard.com/ |