RE: Ambiguity in treatment of accept attributes

From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 16:11:13 -0500
To: "Jonathan Marsh" <jmarsh@microsoft.com>
Cc: <www-xml-xinclude-comments@w3.org>

At 4:34 PM -0800 2/25/04, Jonathan Marsh wrote:
>The WG felt that the value of the attribute should be placed in the HTTP
>header without augmentation.  I've changed the wording from "should
>include the value in the HTTP header" to "should place the value in the
>HTTP header" to help clear up this ambiguity.

I accept your intent here. I'm still not convinced the language is
sufficiently clear though. "should include" or "should place" sound
the same to me. Neither seems to prohibit adding other values as
well. I suggest "should be" as in, "The value of the accept-language
header should be the same as the value of the accept-language
attribute" and ideally I'd like to add "and should not include any
other languages not included in the accept-language attribute"

--

   Elliotte Rusty Harold
   elharo@metalab.unc.edu