RE: Streaming basically impossible in the face of XPointers

It appears to be impossible to improve streamability without removing
functionality from XInclude.  The WG decided instead to bless a kind of
"streamable subset" by adding text along these lines:

_______
The abscense of a value for the href attribute, either by the appearance
of href="" or by the absence of the href attribute, represents a case
which may be incompatible with certain implementation strategies. For
instance, an XInclude processor might not have a textual representation
of the source infoset to include as parse="text", or it may be unable to
access another part of the document using parse="xml" and an xpointer
because of streamability concerns. An implementation may choose to treat
any or all absences of a value for the href attribute as resource
errors. Implementors should document the conditions under which such
resource errors occur.
_______

We hope this is an acceptable resolution of your concern.