RE: Non-defined elements in XInclude namespace

At 12:48 PM -0800 1/8/03, Jonathan Marsh wrote:
>Thank you for bringing this problem to our attention.  We resolved the
>issue as follows:
>
>An xi:include element can contain any content EXCEPT elements in the
>XInclude namespace other than a single optional xi:fallback element.
>
>A related problem was also addressed:  attributes on xi:fallback
>elements are now explicitly treated consistently with attributes on
>xi:include - additional attributes are allowed, but unprefixed ones are
>reserved for future versions of XInclude.
>
>If you do not agree with this resolution, please let us know.  If we
>don't hear from you by Jan 20th, we'll assume that you are satisfied
>with this resolution.

This very well may resolve my concerns. It's hard to tell without
seeing the final spec. If "An xi:include element can contain any
content EXCEPT elements in the XInclude namespace other than a single
optional xi:fallback element." means  that the XInclude processor
throws a fatal error when such an element is encountered, then this
is fine. However, the type of error it throws does need to be
specified.

One side-effect: this approach does seem to require that processors
read the children of XInclude elements to make sure there aren't any
nested xi:include elements, even if the resource is available.

Also, this makes me wonder about elements in the XInclude namespace
other than include and fallback that do not appear inside an
xi:include element. For example, xi:some-user-element. My reading of
the current spec is that these are simply passed along like any other
element, but perhaps you wish to tighten that up and make these fatal
errors too (or perhaps not). I know these are edge cases but that's
what make spec writing tough. :-)

|           Processing XML with Java (Addison-Wesley, 2002)          |
|              http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/xmljava             |
| http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D0201771861/cafeaulaitA  |