Re: Subresource errors

On Sat, Aug 30, 2003 at 10:42:58AM -0400, Elliotte Harold wrote:
> I would appreciate clarfication on whether a subresource not exisitng is
> an error. e.g. http://www.example.org/doc.xml#red when
> http://www.example.org/doc.xml exists but does not contain an element
> with the ID red. Accoding to the XPointer spec such an XPointer is
> indeed in error. However, is it a syntax error or something else?
>
> The XPointer spec does not use the term "syntax error". It does not
> distinguish syntax errors from other errors, so there's a little
> mismathc between the two specs here. In this case I could see XInclude
> either using the fallback (it's an XPointer error) or simply including
> nothing (it's not an XPointer *syntax* error.
>
> Either approach seems reasonable, but I think more explicit language is
> called for here.

Hum, I think that the given example raises an XPointer error
and the fallback should be used since what the author intended
for inclusion is not available.
I'm not sure how my implementation behaves, but I have no
doubt about what it should do in such a case. I would not include
the full document, I think this would make very little sense.

Daniel

daniel@veillard.com  | Rpmfind RPM search engine http://rpmfind.net/
http://veillard.com/ |