Re: incorrect URL within XML Schema 1.1 spec

On Sun, 2018-03-04 at 10:57 +0530, Mukul Gandhi wrote:
> Hello,
>     I think, the URL  https://www.w3.org/TR/2010/
> REC-xpath-functions-20101214/ I talked about in my previous mail
> should be
> http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath-functions/ (which is also referred from
> https://www.w3.org/TR/xpath20/ in the normative references).
>
> The page http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath-functions/ (which redirects to
> https://www.w3.org/TR/xquery-operators/), also displays a red
> rectangle
> with similar contents I talked about.

No, http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath-functions/ does not have a red
rectangle. it returns XPath and XQuery Functions and Operators 3.1.
It does not redirect to https://www.w3.org/TR/xquery-operators/.

However, https://www.w3.org/TR/xquery-operators/ *does* have a red
rectangle, because I put it there, on the instruction of the XQuery and
XSLT Working Groups, who are no longer maintaining that old document.

> I think I'd be fine with the red
> rectangle and its contents.
>
> But I think, to edit https://www.w3.org/TR/xquery-operators/ (i.e to
> delete
> its red rectangle), a different WG needs to be involved (not XML
> Schema WG).

The note in the red rectangle is a true statement. F&O 1 is not
maintained. No-one is processing errata. It's not likely there will
ever be a new edition. Instead, there's F&O 3.0 and 3.1.

It's possible XSD could be edited to fix a link, but it sounds like
it's not necessary? It should indeed go to the not-maintained document.

There's no longer a W3C XML Schema Working Group and has not been one
for some years.

The red box doesn't mean the spec isn't being used, it means there's
no-one available to edit or republish it. The volnteers stopped
volunteering and the compnies withdrew support, because the Working
Group's primary work was finished and done and ended and happy and
wonderful.

Liam

--
Liam Quin, W3C, http://www.w3.org/People/Quin/
Staff contact for Verifiable Claims WG, SVG WG, XQuery WG