Posssible erratum relating to Infoset Dependencies

From: <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 11:29:13 -0400
To: www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org

Section D of structures [1] says:

      D Required Information Set Items and Properties (normative)

      This specification requires as a precondition for ·assessment· an
      information set as defined in [XML-Infoset] which supports at least
      the following information items and properties:

      Attribute Information Item
            [local name], [namespace name], [normalized value]
      Character Information Item
            [character code]
      Element Information Item
            [local name], [namespace name], [children], [attributes],
            [in-scope namespaces] or [namespace attributes]
      Namespace Information Item
            [prefix], [namespace name]

      This specification does not require any destructive alterations to
      the input information set: all the information set contributions
      specified herein are additive.

      This appendix is intended to satisfy the requirements for Conformance
      to the [XML-Infoset] specification.

The question that just occurred to me relates to the evaluation of
attributes or elements of type QName.  In the schema document these include
constructs such as:

      <xsd:element ref="p:el"/>

or

      <xsd:simpletype name="myenum">
        <xsd:restriction base="xsd:QName">
         <xsd:enumeration value="p1:name"/>
         <xsd:enumeration value="p2:name"/>
        </xsd:restriction>
      </xsd:simpleType>

should we

should we not be appealing to [in-scope namespaces] to resolve p, p1, and
p2?  If so, I think we want an erratum to clarify section D.  Also:  I
think section D is somewhat ambiguous as to whether it applies to instances
and/or schema docs.   I think the correction reasonably applies to both, at
least as a likely means of establishing the preconditions for QName to have
a value space.

Noah

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-1/#infoset

One Rogers Street