RE: Objection to hexBinary and base64Binary

Charles:
The Schema WG discussed your comments on binary extensively in today's
call.

A number of us the the Schema WG would like to create abstract datatypes
that
define a value space.  Users could then associate these types with
lexical spaces
as they desired.  This would be the best solution to the problem you
raise but,
despite having spent quite a bit of effort on this, we have been unable
to come up
with such a formulation.  We will keeping trying, though and perhaps
will have
something better in 1.1 or 2.0

On your comment re getting values out from DOM, the feeling was that DOM
should
store the value in the value space and you should be able to access it
in whatever
form you wish.  Not being able to get the value out is a DOM issue, not
a Schema issue.

Michael Sp-McQ pointed out that you could create a union type of
hexBinary and base64Binary
and this may do what you want.  It was suggested that the type library
may want to offer
such a type.

Regards, Ashok