RE: Issues with Contribution: Attribute Default Value

> At 09:33 AM 12/13/00 -0500, David E. Cleary wrote:
> >The DOM does absolutly no validation when creating an XML
> document. If you
> >do not use the DOM to add xmlns attributes, it will create
> invalid XML, but
> >it won't stop you from adding attributes and elements that use
> namespaces.
> >So it is up to the application that is using the DOM to do the
> right thing
>
> I apologize for being ignorant about the terminology, but is the
> schema processor considered to be one such 'application'?

No. A schema processor does not create XML or use the DOM.

> >if it wants valid XML. If there are no xmlns attributes that define
> >namespace prefixes, it isn't valid. The term SUPERFICIAL PREFIX should be
> >immediatly struck from the record and never used again, because
> there is no
> >such thing.
>
> Ooo, that was kind of harsh.  Seeing these two posts I can only
> conclude that there is such a thing in one mind but not in another.

That was tounge in cheek. Where I am coming from is that IMHO the sole
purpose of prefixes is to support human pasrsing of XML. Prefixes do not
apear in the infoset or PSVI. Schema processors should not add xmlns
attributes that are not there.