Re: NMTOKEN elements?

From: C. M. Sperberg-McQueen <cmsmcq@acm.org>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 20:16:57 -0600
To: petsa@us.ibm.com, "DuCharme, Robert" <Robert.DuCharme@moodys.com>
Cc: "'www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org'" <www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org>
At 10:37 00/06/23 -0400, petsa@us.ibm.com wrote:
>In section 3.3.4,  where NMTOKEN is defined, the Datatypes spec says
>"For compatibility (see Terminolgy (1.4)) NMTOKEN should be used only
>in attributes."  If you go to 1.4, it defines "compatibility" as
>compatibilty
>with the XML 1.0 spec.
>
>This means that you are free to use NMTOKEN as an element value but
>your instance documents will not conform to the XML 1.0 spec.

Actually, I think they'll conform just fine.  But the parser
won't be required to do anything special with them (no whitespace
normalization) and it won't be something a DTD can capture.

I am mildly astonished to discover that we seem to have invented
a schema language which is better capable of describing HyTime
documents than DTDs.  :)

Michael