Re: xsd:appinfo

>Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 16:23:33 -0400
>To: www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org
>From: "Ralph R. Swick" <swick@w3.org>
>Subject: xsd:appinfo

>The xsd:appinfo schema component in the schema-for-schemas
>http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/WD-xmlschema-1-20000407/#element-appinfo
>appears to adequately address the request for a mechanism to
>permit an XML Schema schema document to hold declarations for
>mapping to other application data structures documented in
>item 3.2 of http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/NOTE-schema-arch-19991007.

>I thank the XML Schema WG for including this feature.  I also
>commend the WG for illustrating one usage scenario in the
>Schema for Datatype definitions
>http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/WD-xmlschema-2-20000407/#schema

>My enthusiasm is tempered, however, by the lack of any guidance
>on how to discover the semantics of the two example elements
>'has-facet' and 'has-property'.  Having constructed all this
>wonderful machinery for extending the declarative power of an
>XML Schema, the sole example of its use fails to lead the way
>in applying that same machinery to the extension.  'has-facet'
>and 'has-property' do not themselves have first-class names,
>nor are they even clearly part of a namespace.  I encourage the
>spec editors to lead by example in your application of appinfo.

The XML Schema WG has asked me to reply to your comment above, cataloged as
Issue LC-122.

The inclusion of the has-facet and has-property elements to the appinfo of
each datatype definition was introduced just prior to the release of the
previous public draft in order to insure consistency in the publication of
the HTML version of the spec.  Much of the text which appears in the HTML
version of the spec is generated by an XSL stylesheet by reading the appinfo
from the datatype definitions.

As co-editor of the Datatypes spec I completely agree that I failed to "lead
by example" in my use of appinfo and we will definately do better in the
next draft (hopefully the CR WD) of the spec, including turning the
has-facet and has-property elements into first-class objects and documenting
their meaning/usage.

thanx,

pvb