FW: More I18N Last call comments on Schema Part 0

[The following mail was originally sent to the mailing list of the W3C
XML Schema WG.  It has been forwarded to this list at the request of
cmsmcq.  Please ensure that all responses are cross posted to the
mailing list of the W3C I18N IG.]

Dear Schema WG,

[This mail is crossposted to the I18N IG to allow for further
discussion.  Please feel free to forward these comments to another list,
including a public list, but please make sure that you don't reveal the
mail addresses of the various groups.]

These are some more last call comments on XML Schema Part 0: Primer
from the I18N WG/IG.  One of the comments [MW6] relates also to
XML Schema Part 2: Datatypes.  Some of the comments are not I18N
specific.

As some of our comments are being written up by Martin, and some by me,
I am prefixing each comment number with "MW", to avoid numbering
clashes.

[MW1] Section 2.2 --
      "An element is required to appear when the value of minOccurs is 1."
      Suggestion --
      "An element is required to appear when the value of minOccurs is
      1 or more."

[MW2] Section 2.3 (and others) --
      "Sku (shorthand for a product number)"
      Is "Sku" an acronym?  If so, what is its derivation?

[MW3] Section 2.5.1 --
      In our comment [8], Martin wrote:
      > [8] Currency codes should use standards, i.e. EUR and not just
      >      EU. (Section 2.5). [sorry, don't remember the ISO standard number]
      >      Of course each schema can do what it wants, but W3C examples
      >      should conform to good practice unless there is a specific
      >      point in diverging.
      The relevant standard is ISO 4217.

[MW4] Section 2.8 --
      "... by adding attributes to the item element indicating whether
      or not the item is in stock, ..."
      Where is this attribute?

[MW5] Section 4.3 --
      "goods are shipped to England" ... "UK-Address"
      Not surprisingly, some people don't like the equation:
         England = UK
      Please change to:
      "goods are shipped to the UK"

[MW6] Section C --
      "\w" ... "XML 1.0 Letter or Digit"
         (linking to http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml#CharClasses)
      This raises serious questions of functionality.  My first response
      was "Why XML 1.0"?  If the XML specification were, at some point
      in the future, reissued with a higher version, would "\w" continue
      to stand for an "XML 1.0 Letter or Digit"?  Surely not.
      As the primer is non--normative, I then consulted the "XML Schema
      Part 2: Datatypes" specification:
         http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/WD-xmlschema-2-20000407/#dt-ccesN
      The definition there is quite different, but equally worrying:
      "[�-]-[\p{P}\p{S}\p{C}] (all characters except the
      set of "punctuation", "separator" and "control" characters)"
      Why does the range end at 0xFFFF?

[MW7] Section C --
      "defined by Unicode" links to "http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-0/"
      (multiple occurrences)

Regards,
Misha

[This mail was written using voice recognition software]

the views of Reuters Ltd.