[RESEND] Re: Please make well-known URIs for all built-in datatypes and facets

   ----- Original message follows -----

Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 12:05:44 -0700
From: "Perry A. Caro" <caro@Adobe.COM>
To: ww-xml-schema-comments@w3.org
CC: www-rdf-interest@w3.org, szilles@Adobe.COM, pullmann@Adobe.COM
Subject: Re: Please make well-known URIs for all built-in datatypes and
facets

Ralph Swick:
> It will be a significant benefit to the wider XML application community
> if canonical URIs were defined for each of the built-in datatypes as well
> as for each the specified facets.

Hear, hear!  We emphatically agree with this request.  Lack of reliable URI
"id's" for the built-in datatypes and specified facets would be a huge
obstacle to wide adoption and interoperability.  This cannot be overstated.

It will be hard enough to implement compliant, interoperable, real-world
processors--human error and the variety of character and URI encodings being
what they are--without also having to worry about how to disambiguate the
names of these vital items. That being the case, also consider:

* specifying the precise normalization of the URI for the sake of simple
literal equality testing,

* keeping the URI's concise and simple; a non-normative appendix containing
a set of general parsed entity declarations defining recommended best
practice "abbreviations" for the URI's would be a kindness to users.

To be sure, these last two items are mere wishes compared to the overriding
requirement for canonical URI's of any shape or form to be part of the
normative matter of the spec.

Perry A. Caro
Advanced Technology Group
Adobe Systems Incorporated