What happened to textEntity?

From: George T. Joseph <gtj@peakin.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 00:33:28 -0500
To: <www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org>
It makes sense that XPointer could replace externalEntity but what takes the place of the simple constant definition functionality
that textEntity provided?  Up until Friday I was defining an "!ENTITY" in the internal DTD subset of the schema for use by the
schema itself, and in the body of the schema, a textEntity with the same value for use by instance document authors.

Is there another mechanism that I'm missing?  The only thing I can think of off-hand is that I'd have to provide both a DTD and a
schema and a validating parser would have to bounce the instance document against them both.

George

Example Schema:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE schema PUBLIC "-//W3C/DTD XML Schema Version 1.0//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/1999/09/23-xmlschema/structures/structures.dtd"
[
<!ENTITY DEFAULT_VALUE '-4'>
]>
<schema ...>
<textEntity name='DEFAULT_VALUE'>&DEFAULT_VALUE;</textEntity>
</schema>

Example XML instance fragment:

<some-element>&DEFAULT_VALUE;</some-element>