Re: [xml-dev] The use of XML syntax in XML Query

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jonathan Robie" <jonathan.robie@softwareag.com>
To: "Champion, Mike" <Mike.Champion@SoftwareAG-USA.com>;
<www-xml-query-comments@w3.org>; <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
Sent: Thursday, January 03, 2002 2:45 PM
Subject: RE: [xml-dev] The use of XML syntax in XML Query

> 1. An XQuery 1.0 CR this summer, with a separate CR for updates six months
> later,
> or
> 2. An XQuery 1.0 CR a year from now including updates.

Without updates XQuery is somewhat to the database folks and will require them
to retool their applications in a year to support updates anyway (planned
obsolecense) or continue with their proprietary update mechanisms to please
their customers.Without updates XQuery  is a glorified of XSLT-- or XPath++
depending on how you want to look at it instead of the XML Data Manipulation
Language it has the potential to be.

> This is really the crucial question. Personally, I do not think that
> waiting a year or two for updates would be a good option.

If there are already proposals AND implementations for updates floating around
why would it take a year to reconcile updates with the XQuery spec?

--
THINGS TO DO IF I BECOME AN EVIL OVERLORD #35
I will not grow a goatee. In the old days they made you look diabolic. Now