W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-xml-linking-comments@w3.org > October to December 2008

Re: XML Base PER--what is a URI

From: Steven Pemberton <steven.pemberton@cwi.nl>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2008 14:21:53 +0100
To: "Grosso, Paul" <pgrosso@ptc.com>
Cc: www-xml-linking-comments@w3.org, "Henry S. Thompson" <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk>
Message-ID: <op.uj5d2r2ismjzpq@acer3010>

Paul,

Many thanks for your reply.

The XHTML2 WG has discussed it.

> It would not be right for XML Base to define what strings
> should be considered URIs.  That is entirely up to the XML
> vocabulary in question.  This spec addresses the question:
> *given* a relative URI, how is it resolved?  It thus fills
> the role described in RFC 3986 section 5.1.1: it specifies
> how a base URI can be embedded in XML content.

This is exactly what we hoped to hear, and weren't able to resolve from  
the spec. We are happy that this is the case, but would be happier if the  
spec made it explicit. We are therefore not asking for a change, just a  
clarification that what this spec refers to as a URI is not necessarily  
syntactically a URI, but whatever the referring spec decides should be  
treated as one.

Best wishes,

Steven Pemberton
For the XHTML2 WG

On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 18:31:25 +0200, Grosso, Paul <pgrosso@ptc.com> wrote:

> Thank you for your comments at
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-xml-linking-comments/2008AprJun/
> 0011
> on the XML Base Second Edition PER.
>
> Regarding:
>
>> It is not clear from the spec about what is
>> permitted to be considered a URI in a host
>> language. The spec refers to URIs everywhere,
>> without exactly specifying what qualifies. In
>> particular we hope that XML Base may be used at
>> any point some value is interpreted as a relative
>> URI/IRI, even if that value isn't a URI per se.
>
> The XML Core WG has reviewed this comment and decided not
> to make any change to XML Base Second Edition with the
> following explanation:
>
> It would not be right for XML Base to define what strings
> should be considered URIs.  That is entirely up to the XML
> vocabulary in question.  This spec addresses the question:
> *given* a relative URI, how is it resolved?  It thus fills
> the role described in RFC 3986 section 5.1.1: it specifies
> how a base URI can be embedded in XML content.
>
>
> See also
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-xml-linking-comments/2008JulSep/
> 0000
> and
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-xml-linking-comments/2008JulSep/
> 0006
> for previous reponses.
>
>
> We hope to transition XML Base to Recommendation within
> the next few weeks.  Please let us know if you accept
> our disposition of this comment as soon as feasible.
> If we have not heard by September 22, we will assume
> you have no objection to our resolution.
>
> Paul Grosso
> for the XML Core WG
Received on Wednesday, 5 November 2008 13:22:10 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 17 January 2020 23:08:18 UTC