From: Ian B. Jacobs [mailto:ij@w3.org]
Sent: Tuesday, 2007 January 02 14:45
To: Grosso, Paul
Cc: Jean-Guilhem Rouel; timbl@w3.org; steve@w3.org;
public-xml-core-wg@w3.org; webreq@w3.org; chairs@w3.org;
w3t-comm@w3.org; Philippe Le Hegaret; Henry S. Thompson
Subject: Re: CORRECTION [Was: Transition Request: PER Request for XML
BaseSecond Edition]

More followup!

I think that all PERs that revise Recommendations published
prior to the CPP are covered by the CPP. Here is my reference [1],
in section "2. Considerations when a New Charter for an Existing Working
Group is Revised to Include the W3C Patent Policy":

 "Proposed Edited Recommendations derived from a Recommendation not
  developed under the W3C Patent Policy, will be governed by the CPP."

I had forgotten about that provision earlier in the thread.

Thus, I return to my previous position which is that it is appropriate
to have this first sentence in the boilerplate:

 "This document is governed by the 24 January 2002 CPP as amended by the
  W3C Patent Policy Transition Procedure."

I propose that the status section be updated when the PER is published
as a Recommendation.

I think that this means that other XML Core WG PERs that went to Rec in
2006 lack that initial sentence. I don't think that is a problem and
nothing needs to be changed.

Meanwhile, I have updated the pubrules checker to include an option
"Otherwise revises pre-CPP Recommendation." When a group publishes a
PER, the accompanying boilerplate includes the "governed by the CPP"
first sentence. Note that if a group is revising a pre-CPP
Recommendation along the Recommendation track, then that would
automatically be covered by the W3C Patent Policy, so the boilerplate
is different in that case.

[I've also included the pre-CPP option for groups operating under the
CPP, though there are fewer and fewer of those.]

Please let me know if you see any odd behavior with the checker. Thanks,
and thanks for your patience as we learn about new publication
situations.

  Ian

[1] http://www.w3.org/2004/02/05-pp-transition#switch

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2006Dec/0020

> > Philippe, unfortunately, underestimates pubrules. Pubrules does
handle
> > this case. Visit:
> >  http://www.w3.org/2005/07/pubrules?uimode=filter&uri=
> >
> > Select "Proposed Edited Recommendation" for the document.
> > Select "W3C" for the group's current patent policy.
> > Select
> >  "Relation to previous Recommendations of same major revision:
> >   Editorial Revision of CPP Recommendation".
> >
> > The resulting boilerplate adds an initial sentence:
> >
> >  "This document is governed by the 24 January 2002 CPP as amended by
the
> > W3C Patent Policy Transition Procedure. W3C maintains a public list
of
> > any patent disclosures made in connection with the deliverables of
the
> > group; that page also includes instructions for disclosing a patent.
An
> > individual who has actual knowledge of a patent which the individual
> > believes contains Essential Claim(s) must disclose the information
in
> > accordance with section 6 of the W3C Patent Policy."
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> >  _ Ian

Tel:                     +1 718 260-9447