Re: XLink 1.1: Integration with CSS

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005, Norman Walsh wrote:

> / Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net> was heard to say:
> | Dear XML Core Working Group,
> |
> |   http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-xlink11-20050707/ is unclear about
> | how it integrates with CSS, e.g., it is unclear how the attributes
> | affect which elements match the CSS :link selector. Please change
> | the draft such that this is well-defined.
>
> The WG has considered this comment and concludes that the XLink
> specification is in no position to assert how CSS selectors should
> operate. We will add a non-normative note to the effect that
> "languages such as CSS should see XLink links as links and treat them
> accordingly" and encourage the CSS WG to clarify that XLink links are
> subject to styling by the :link and other psuedo-elements.

For similar reasons, the CSSWG won't want to explicitly normatively refer
to XLink. :-)

However, all XLink needs to do is specify exactly what combination of
attributes forms a "hyperlink source anchor" (using that exact term) and
then CSS will just work, since CSS defines its pseudo-classes in terms of
"hyperlink source anchors".

HTH,