Re: XLink 1.1: Open issues?

Norman.Walsh@Sun.COM (Norman Walsh) writes:
>In fact, the linking working group has been shut down for some time.
>The XML Core WG has been asked to maintain the linking specifications.

This feels like rather more than maintenance to me.  Perhaps the W3C
would do better to focus its energies on other technologies, rather than
attempting to resurrect the dead.

>There is very little in the way of "pushing forward" in XLink 1.1.
>We're trying to solve a simple problem with the semantics of XLink 1.0
>which, IMHO, rely too heavily on DTD-based attribute defaulting.
>
>The Core WG produced a Note proposing some changes:
>
>1. Make simple XLinks an application-level default.
>2. Reserve all attributes in the XLink namespace.
>3. Allow IRIs.
>4. Provide Sample XML Schema and RELAX NG Grammars.
>
>The AC to approved a charter that allows us to make exactly those
>changes, no more, no less.

If the AC wants to support continued work on an already dead
Frankenstein's monster experiment, that is unfortunately their
prerogative.

Simon St.Laurent
http://simonstl.com/