Re: RFC2119 and use of "may"

On Fri, Jul 06, 2001 at 12:14:57PM -0400, J S wrote:
> In XLink 1.0, the following statement in 5.1.5 uses "may" in the RFC2119
> sense, but this usage seems odd:
>
> "To ease XLink processing, document creators may wish to define linkbase
> arcs near the beginning of a document".
>
> If this use of "may" is consistent with the definition provided by RFC2119,
> the statement says "It is truly optional to wish to define linkbase
> arcs...".
>
> Perhaps a more sensible reading, from the perspective of RFC2119, is as
> follows:
>
> "To ease XLink processing, document creators may define linkbase arcs near
> the beginning of a document".

  Hum, right. We were extra-cautious about the fact this is not a
requirement and the wording could be improved. However I think it
still conveys the right message, so it is limited to an editorial
problem.

  thanks for the report,

Daniel

Sep 17-18 2001 Brussels Red Hat TechWorld http://www.redhat-techworld.com