Re: XLink specified in XML Schema

From: Simon <simonstl@simonstl.com>
Date: 19 Jun 2001 11:44:38 -0400
To: Vun "Kannon," David <dvunkannon@kpmg.com>
Cc: "'www-xml-linking-comments@w3.org'" <www-xml-linking-comments@w3.org>
On 19 Jun 2001 11:24:52 -0400, Vun Kannon, David wrote:
>       The XLink spec currently defines the attributes of the Xlink
> namespace using DTDs. There are a few aspects of the new XML Schema
> specification which may be helpful to XLink applications. Defining XLink in
> terms of XML Schema will allow a certain level of validation of the XLink
> information by the general process of schema validation. This could include
> namespace correctness, datatyping and enumeration values and defaults, and
> uniqueness constraints.
>       XLink currently uses the xlink:type attribute to distinguish various
> kinds of elements. This function could be handled in XML Schema by abstract
> element definitions and the use of element substitution groups.
>
>       My request is that the XLink specification include a normative XML
> Schema as part of the spec.

While I wouldn't  necessarily object to inclusion of a normative XML
Schema, I would strongly oppose any effort to make XLink processing
dependent on XML Schema processing.

While xlink:type could perhaps be abolished by abstract elements and the
use of element substitution groups, doing so would render XLink far less
useful to a large group of developers who are working with DTDs,
alternative schema languages (notably RELAX NG), or with no schema
support whatsoever.

Simon St.Laurent