RE: SYMM WG comments on XBase 2nd last call

I do not think it is a question of streaming vs. non-streaming media
(although it certainly one of the most important aspects of the question).
Simple audio, animations and images were also controlled by site managers
and placed in common places. This was important for management of caching as
well, so that logo images, sounds etc. were re-used across a site.

I cannot speak for the whole WG, but I personally am ambivalent about moving
forward with the single base model for the basic cases, as you propose. I
think that there may be some utility there and a wait and see approach can
be useful, but I am concerned about endorsing a model that I think has
problems in the long run.  I am not really sure what to say at this point,
but I am tending to think I would rather just stay silent on XBase 1.0 and
wait until XBase has the tools we need.

I would prefer that others in the group speak up, to balance my opinions
(and perhaps sway me one way or the other).

I would also like to hear more about what the HTML folks have to say at this
point (yes I sit there as well, but I have forgotten who took a position on
XBase other than Murray at Sun). Can you (Daniel, Jonathan et al.) summarize
the HTML WG issues?

I would appreciate hearing direct input on this from content providers and
web site managers, if possible. The functionality (as I see it) is for them,
and so I would like to hear their comments on how well XBase matches their
needs.

Patrick