Namespace names in attribute values

From: Peter Stark <stark@corp.phone.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 09:24:49 -0800
To: <www-xml-infoset-comments@w3.org>
Hi,

Many XML applications are using XML namespaces inside attribute values.

	<element attribute="q:foo" xmlns:q="some.namespace.name" />

The Infoset specification is silent about whether the parser is required to
pass this information up to the application or not. The application may get
"q:foo" not knowing what "q" is.

The parser does not know that the value is a qualified name, so I suspect
there is a problem here, right?

I have not checked whether XML Schema allows declarations like the
following:

	<!ATTLIST element
		attribute 	QNAME 	#IMPLIED>

If not, I don't know how namespaces inside attribute values can be used. Has
this been discussed in the Infoset WG?

Thanks,

Peter Stark
Phone.com