Re: Last Call for the XML Fragment Interchange Rec

The main thing that seems to be broken is the way you refer to URLs and
XPointers.  You should be using the term "URI reference" which is
defined in RFC 2396. URI reference allows a URI, or a relative URI,
either optionally followed by a fragment ID.  The syntax of the fragment
ID is determined by the MIME type of the resource retrieved, so there's
no need to mention XPointers explicitly or say anything other than that
it's a URI reference.

In particular the value of fragbodyref should be a URI reference (MIME
content ids would be allowed by using the CID URI scheme).  Saying it's
"any reference whose semantic is known to the processor" is
non-interoperable, unnecessary and inconsistent with general Web
architectural principles.  (Dan is eloquent on this one.)

I would recommend in C using multipart/related and cid URLs rather than
the Content-Disposition header.  multipart/related + CID URLs would work
fine both for a MUA and over HTTP (eg with a browser), whereas
Content-Disposition only really makes sense for an MUA.  With
Content-Disposition the recipient of the mail would have to manually
invoke the XML processor; with multipart/related + CID URLs it can
happen transparently and automatically.

I don't see why Ancestors and Preceding Siblings of Ancestors are
necesssary for validating parsing of a fragment.  (They are in SGML but
I can't see how they are in XML.)