Re: Question on Key usages and Attribute Certificate

Hi,

XKMS can certainly support any applications which use
XAdES, and there are plenty of valid ways to do that.
Here's one from the archive of this list [1] from a
bit more than a year ago.

As to the rest of your mail: we clearly disagree as to
whether or not N-R is a sensible key usage: you think
it is, I don't - and that's fine, since we don't need
to agree!

The XKMS WG concensus, which is what matters here, is,
was always, and I guess will continue to be that N-R is
not treated as a key usage, and further, that the WG
will attempt to prevent people making the mistake of
thinking N-R is a key usage, by making it very hard to
extend key usage. Check the archives and meeting minutes
and you'll see repeated assertions to this effect.

You should also go check the archives of the PKIX list
to see just where you end up considering N-R as a
key usage (e.g. [2] is one of the many recurring threads
there over the years). Feel free to take that up on
the PKIX list if you like but this list is not the
appropriate place for such discussion.

Stephen.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-xkms/2003Dec/0005.html
[2] http://www.imc.org/ietf-pkix/old-archive-01/thrd4.html#01025