RE: status of the nation...

It is important that there be the ability to give a start time for an
Invalid response.

The only circumstances in which the end time for an invalid response would
be relevant for current PKIs is if someone was silly enough to use the
Suspend function of CRLs, or if the status is queried for a date in the past
before the notBefore date of a cert in which case the start date would be
empty.

In most cases then a responder sending back invalid would be expected to
send back a start date with no end date. But it is possible that a responder
would need to send back invalid with a validity interval closed at both
ends.

		Phill

Phillip Hallam-Baker FBCS C.Eng.
Principal Scientist