RE: XKMS 2.0 base working draft

Hi,

	Yep. Good question. I assume you are talking about the timing of the specs
not the timing problem as in TrustedTiming service, replay attack et al.

	In case of the former, it is a thin line. We could do what we did in SAML -
is use XML Signature and XML Encryption and  have a section with our "spin"
on it - say how we plan to use them. But if we are planning to use SOAP it
is better to be aligned with SOAP security, then any generic SOAP engine can
provide the transport for XKMS.

	In case of latter, TrustedTiming, replay attack et al, I like the way ETSI
have added stuff to the XML Signature. We could adopt their ideas plus
anything more we need. The only caveat I see is that, then, any generic XML
Signature engine will not be sufficient for XKMS.

	As another point, my hope is that by the time we are ready with our final
version, SOAP security would be far enough for us to use it. We also need to
consider the .NET and the Java worlds.

	What do you think ? Should we try to have the goal of using the basic
engines (SOAP, XML Signature et al) or should we ask for a few more
capabilities than the basic specs can provide, to support XKMS. I like the
latter, gives us the freedom to ask for features we need to make XKMS
comprehensive.

cheers

 | >  |
 | >  | 5) How do we address message signing? Profile ws-security? Inline
 | >  | signatures?
 | >  |