Re: SOAP headers for xmldsig and xenc

Some thoughts/comments.

David Orchard wrote:

> Some process questions, in no particular order:
>
> 1. What namespace(s) would we use?  SOAP-SEC uses xmlsoap.org, and I assume
> we'd have to switch to w3.org.

I'd think so.

> 2. What names for specs?  WS-Sec? WS-Security (and another number of
> interesting names) are taken by MSFT.

How 'bout SOAP Security Extensions

> 3. Do you see taking specs and modifying them, with new editors from our
> task force?
> 4. I think that MSFT has updated/changed from SOAP-SEC to WS-Security, so it
> would be worthwhile knowing the reasons.  In particular, I'd like to know if
> there was new or updated thinking.

There are some improvements over SOAP-SEC. It separates out
credentials from integrity (purpose) which is important. Absent
some OOB info, a Signature doesn't really tell you much
about why the sender included it. Is it there solely to
ensure that the message hasn't been tampered by a MITM attack?
Is it there to provide some manner of credentials that the
sender could be authenticated? Is it both?

IMO, there needs to be more work in this area.

> 5. I think that we should get a small list of requirements as well.  Might
> make it easier for WSArch to take any output.

:)

- SOAP C14N needs to be addressed
- Profiling of cypher suites support will also be key.
- what to sign, what not to sign

- when to sign

- when to verify