Re: Grounding puzzle

Thanks, Mithun.

I think you have given an excellent answer, but I would just clarify 2
things ...

Mithun Sheshagiri wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Sep 2003, Drew McDermott wrote:
>

>>Suppose there is a web service that works like this:
>>
>>  For all person, residing in the U.S., if you send
>>              social_sec_no(person) [a string of 9 digits]
>>  to this service, it will return
>>              telephone_num(person) [a string of 10 digits]
>>
>>Between WSDL, the DAML-S process, and the grounding, how does this
>>fact get represented?
>
> The DAML-S atomic process would be the following (I assume here that the
> output is unConditional):
>
> AtomicProcess: TelLookUp
> input: sSN
> unConditionalOutput: phoneNumber
>
> sSN is a property that points to a concept called Social_sec_no. This
> concept is defined in a profile ontology which also defines the datatype
> for this concept (string of 9 digits). The property that associates
> Social_sec_no to the upper concept Person is hasSSN

There's no reason why the Social Security number concept should be part
of the service's profile.  It can be defined anywhere on the semantic
Web, and can then of course be referenced by both the profile and the
process model.  Similarly for the phone number concept, just below.

> Similarly, phoneNumber points to a concept defined in the profile
> ontology, Telephone_num. The corresponding property is hasTelNum
>
> The grounding would point a WSDL description that uses the
> Request-Response transport primitive. Part of the WSDL description would
> look like this.
> message definition:
> <message name="SSN_Input">
>       <part name="sSN" daml-property="profile:#hasSSN"/>
> </message>
>
> <message name="phoneNum_Output">
>       <part name="phoneNum" daml-property="profile:#hasTelNum"/>
> </message>

Since what's grounded is an atomic process, it would be more correct to
reference properties that are defined in the process model for the
service, e.g.:

  <part name="sSN" daml-property="MyServiceProcessModel:#hasSSN"/>

Regards,

David Martin