Re: Grounding puzzle

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003, Drew McDermott wrote:

> Suppose there is a web service that works like this:
>
>   For all person, residing in the U.S., if you send
>               social_sec_no(person) [a string of 9 digits]
>   to this service, it will return
>               telephone_num(person) [a string of 10 digits]
>
> Between WSDL, the DAML-S process, and the grounding, how does this
> fact get represented?
The DAML-S atomic process would be the following (I assume here that the
output is unConditional):

AtomicProcess: TelLookUp
input: sSN
unConditionalOutput: phoneNumber

sSN is a property that points to a concept called Social_sec_no. This
concept is defined in a profile ontology which also defines the datatype
for this concept (string of 9 digits). The property that associates
Social_sec_no to the upper concept Person is hasSSN

Similarly, phoneNumber points to a concept defined in the profile
ontology, Telephone_num. The corresponding property is hasTelNum

The grounding would point a WSDL description that uses the
Request-Response transport primitive. Part of the WSDL description would
look like this.
message definition:
<message name="SSN_Input">
      <part name="sSN" daml-property="profile:#hasSSN"/>
</message>

<message name="phoneNum_Output">
      <part name="phoneNum" daml-property="profile:#hasTelNum"/>
</message>

port desription:
<portType name="TelLookUp_port">
<operation name="TelLookUp_operation" daml-s-process="BT:#TelLookUp">
        <input message="SSN_Input"/>
        <output message="phoneNum_Output"/>
</operation>
</portType>

Now the daml-property in the message description would be used by a
specialized DAML sensitive WSDL processor to pick datatype information
from the profile ontology.

I hope this is what you were looking for.

mithun