From: www-ws-request@w3.org [mailto:www-ws-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Jun
Shen
Sent: Thursday, October 30, 2003 1:02 AM
To: www-ws@w3.org
Subject: FW: BPEL2DAMLS developed

-----Original Message-----
From: Jun Shen [mailto:jshen@it.swin.edu.au]
Sent: Thursday, 30 October 2003 3:49 PM
To: 'Sheila McIlraith'
Subject: RE: BPEL2DAMLS developed

Dear Sheila,

That's exactly concerns we're perplexed about.

First we definitely use Process Model.

Second, we have kept watching the progress of all involved languages, our
current version is supporting BPEL, WSDL(with extensions for BPEL) and
DAML-S by July 2003. When we were developing, we argued about instance or
class level mapping for processes/activities. Unfortunately, we understood
DAML-S 0.9 as treating them as classes (CongoProcess example). This sounds
suitable for ontological descriptions of abstract service flows. But when we
treat them as executable (BPEL's double facet) and when we also want to
convert XPDL to DAML-S (work in progress), instance representations of
processes become reasonable.

The above conflict is also reflected in the results, i.e., when we use
Protege and import 'process.daml' or 'loanApproval.daml' created by our
tool, there is no traceable meta ontology  and instances (individuals) for
all these classes(processes). Maybe a solution is there, and we hope our
next version be fully shifted to OWL, which is gaining wider interest and
support, provided it becomes reasonably stable.

I guess somebody else is trying WSDL2OWL-S or further.

Thanks for your up-to-date information.

Cheers

Jun