Re: Proposed issue; Visibility of Web services

+1

I was drafting a near identical response when my mail client crashed. POST
means whatever the origin server wants it to mean in the context of the
resource's
URI. Hence, no set semantic can be assigned. It might as well have been
called
DOSOMETHINGWITHTHEENTITYBODYINTHEREQUEST:)

So, back to Noah's original response, XMLP added the Web method to SOAP,
they gave
specific recommendations that it should be used. Isn't that enough.

The method is only the tip of the visibility iceberg. I think that it is
more critical to
have visibility of the headers. There's an abundance of "visibility" of
the RFC2616
defined HTTP header fields, but the extension headers? No "visibility"
there I'm afraid:

        "The extension-header mechanism allows additional entity-header
fields
         to be defined without changing the protocol, but these fields
cannot
        be assumed to be recognizable by the recipient. Unrecognized
header
        fields SHOULD be ignored by the recipient and MUST be forwarded by
        transparent proxies."

I would actually go as far as to suggest that SOAP is MORE visible than
HTTP
because a) there is a well defined process model and b) you don't have to
concern
yourself of having name collision because SOAP headers are namespace
qualified. An intermediary can be more certain that it will (correctly)
understand SOAP headers
(semantic, not syntactic, understanding) than it can HTTP headers because
there is
always the possibility that HTTP headers that are not defined in RFC2616
might be
misconstrued due to name collision. In fact, an intermediary can know if
the header is
important or can be safely ignored.

SOAP *can* be used in a RESTful manner, and the XMLP WG has taken great
pains
to ensure that to be the case. The fact of the matter is that you are
setting the bar higher for
Web services than for HTTP itself. There is lots you can do with HTTP that
is not very RESTFUL.
Should we be falling all over ourselves and raising issues with the TAG to
protect the Web from
HTTP!? Not likely.

You keep claiming that it is only the constraints of REST, manifested in
the HTTP protocol,
which have allowed the Web to flourish. I think that experience has
actually proven such a claim to be
somewhat exaggerated. People have used and abused the Web in many
nonRESTful ways and
yet the Web has flourished despite such abuses.

I certainly believe that there is MUCH to be said for REST and its
architectural constraints, just as I am
sure that those constraints have in some way helped the Web to flourish.
However, I also firmly believe
that the application of the Web, a hyperlinked information space
(typically, but not exclusively, accessed
via a browser) is not an application that necessarily maps easily or
readily to all other (many, pre-existing
and not usually subject to modification (if it ain't broke...))
applications. You will no doubtedly claim
otherwise as is your prerogative, but it is yet another unsubstantiated
claim.

There is nothing stopping you, or anyone else from using SOAP (and WSDL)
such that there are only a few well defined methods, possibly ripped right
out of RFC2616 (but with
a couple of others added in because even you agree that there are new
methods worth adding
(MONITOR/WATCH). Here, I'll even write the WSDL.

<definitions xmlns="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/wsdl/"
        targetNamesapce="http://markbaker.com"
        xmlns:tns="http://markbaker.com"
        xmlns:my="http://markbaker.com/schema"
        name="myuberservicedescription"
        xmlns:s="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/wsdl/soap/">
  <types>
        targetNamespace="http://markbaker.com/schema"
        xmlns:tns="http://markbaker.com/schema"
        xmlns:xs="http://www,w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
      <element name="uri" type="xs:anyURI"/>
      <element name="message">
        <complexType>
          <sequence>
            <element ref="tns:uri"/>
            <any namespace="##other" processContents="skip" minOccurs="0"
maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
          </sequence>
          <anyAttribute namespace="##other" processContents="skip"/>
        </complexType>
      </element>
      <element name="faultDetails">
        <complexType>
          <sequence>
            <element name="code">
              <simpleType>
                <simpleContent>
                  <restriction base="xs:string">
                    <enumeration value="1xx"/>
                    <enumeration value="2xx"/>
                    <enumeration value="3xx"/>
                    <enumeration value="4xx"/>
                    <enumeration value="5xx"/>
                  </restriction>
                </simpleContent>
              </simpleType>
            </element>
            <any namespace="##other" processContents="skip" minOccurs="0"
maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
          </sequence>
          <anyAttribute namespace="##other" processContents="skip"/>
        </complexType>
      </element>
    </schema>
  </types>
  <message "justauri">
    <part name="x" element="my:uri"/>
  </message>
  <message "any">
    <part name="x" element="my:message"/>
  </message>
  <message "anyFault">
    <part name="fault" element="my:faultDetail"/>
  </message>
  <portType name="uberalles">
    <operation name="GET">
      <input message="my:justauri"/>
      <output message="my:message"/>
      <fault message="my:anyFault"/>
    </operation>
    <operation name="PUT">
      <input message="my:message"/>
      <output message="my:message"/>
      <fault message="my:anyFault"/>
    </operation>
    <operation name="DOSOMETHINGWITHTHEENTITYBODYINTHEREQUEST">
      <input message="my:message"/>
      <output message="my:message"/>
      <fault message="my:anyFault"/>
    </operation>
    <operation name="DELETE">
      <input message="my:justauri"/>
      <output message="my:message"/>
      <fault message="my:anyFault"/>
    </operation>
  </portType>
  <binding name="onlyoneneeded" type="tns:uberalles">
    <s:binding transport="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/http"
style="document"/>
    <operation name="GET">
      <s:body use="literal"/>
    </operation>
    <operation name="PUT">
      <s:body use="literal"/>
    </operation>
    <operation name="DOSOMETHINGWITHTHEENTITYBODYINTHEREQUEST">
      <s:body use="literal"/>
    </operation>
    <operation name="DELETE">
      <s:body use="literal"/>
    </operation>
  </binding>
  <service name="[yourservicenamegoeshere]">
    <port
binding="tns:onlyoneneededbecausehttpistheperfectapplicationprotocol">
      <s:address location="[yourresourceurigoeshere]"/>
    </port>
  </service>
<definitions>

I guess we can all go home now, there's nothing more to be done.

Cheers,

Christopher Ferris
email: chrisfer@us.ibm.com
phone: +1 508 234 3624