Re: Problem with damlsParameter

On Tuesday, April 22, 2003, at 09:02 AM, Drew McDermott wrote:

>    [Bijan Parsia]
>       [Daniel Elenius]
>> It doesn't make sense to me, and I can see why it doesn't make sense to
>> the JTP reasoner, it being very logical after all :)
>
>    No, it just means that you don't have the right axioms.
>
> There may be a technical limitation of JTP that prevents it from
> making assertions about predicates.

Oops, I really should have said "don't have the right axioms or
reasoner".

However, I do believe Pat Hayes worked pretty hard on the RDFS semantics
to make it workable with first order reasoners (for example).

You could start from the LBase axiomization of RDFS:
	http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-mt/#Lbase

(triple version: http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-mt/#rdfs_interp)

Hmm. I thought that they were going to go the DAML+OIL axiom route and
represent triples as triples. I'm not quite what's up...

...aha, the LBase doc explains further:
	http://www.w3.org/2002/06/lbase/20030116Snapshot.html
Key bit being:

"""The explicit extension mapping is a technical device to allow
relations to be applied to other relations without going outside
first-order expressivity. We note that while this allows the same name
to be used in both an individual and a relation position, and in a sense
gives relations (and hence functions) a 'first-class' status, it does
not incorporate any comprehension principles or make any logical
assumptions about what relations are in the domain. Notice that no
special semantic conditions were invoked to treat variables in relation
position differently from other variables. In particular, the language
makes no comprehension assumptions whatever. The resulting language is
first-order in all the usual senses: it is compact and satisfies the
downward Skolem-Lowenheim property, for example, and the usual
machine-oriented inference processes still apply, in particular the
unification algorithm. (One can obtain a translation into a more
conventional syntax by re-writing every atomic sentence using a rule of
the form R(t1,...,tn) => Holds(R, t1,...,tn), where 'Holds' is a 'dummy'
relation indicating that the relation R is true of the remaining
arguments. The presentation given here eliminates the need for this
artificial translation, but its existence establishes the first-order
properties of the language. To translate a conventional first-order
syntax into the Lbase form, simply qualify all quantifiers to range only
over non-Relations. The issue is further discussed in (Hayes & Menzel
ref). )"""

I suspect that you might have to use the Holds(_,_,_) translation to get
it to work with many TPs.

>  However, if it's based on Kif
> there shouldn't be any such limitation, because Kif allows such
> assertions.

At the moment, alas, there's no LBase translation for OWL (that I see).
So one might have to start with the (flawed) DAML+OIL axiomatic
semantics (which is in KIF) and update.

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.