RE: CR117 summary

I've annotated Youenn's analysis with the option numbers from last week's
poll (which I'll carry forward this week).

Jonathan Marsh - http://www.wso2.com - http://auburnmarshes.spaces.live.com

Option 1: Jonathan's 1st - new syntax for controlling whether or not to
encode

> 1) Enable two serialization modes (encoded and raw)
> Pros: the most powerful option, simple to explain and understand
> Cons: new feature, may require a new Last Call

Option 0: status quo - nothing encoded

> 2) Status quo
> Pros: enable dynamic URI constructions
> Cons: greatly limit the usability of GET and POST/x-www-form-urlencoded
> for web services
> Notes:
>     1) IIRC, the SPARQL description (the only real example of the HTTP
> binding, AFAIKT) may lead to ambiguous requests, since strings and uris
> values are serialized as query string parameters
>     2) IIRC, form web clients generally URL-encode parameter values
> before inserting them in the query string. WSDL would not be able to
> describe the servers processing these requests.

Option 5: everything encoded

> 3) Select Encoded mode
> Pros: simple to explain, ambiguity is then easy to check.
> Cons: Disable the ability to describe some REST-style services
> Note: Raw mode use cases may be partially enabled with the encoded mode
> by splitting a single parameter value into several parameter values.
>     <element name="date"/> would be changed as <element
> name="year"/><element name="month"/><element name="day"/>
> The one case that cannot be addressed with the encoded mode is when a
> parameter value contains a variable number of path steps, which may not
> be that widespread.

Option 2: Youenn - cited parameters raw, uncited encoded